The Kimball Art Center is now accepting applications for the Young Artists’ Academy (YAA) Program for 2018-2019.
The YAA is a program for students who are dedicated to the study and practice of the visual arts, creative thinking, and creative professions. The selected group of artists develop their ideas, philosophies, and skills through a variety of projects, workshops, lessons, and community events. Students enrich their portfolios and resumes, meet local artists, explore creative professions and demonstrate responsibility and reliability. Students participate in critiques that encourage them to learn about the many different viewpoints in art and creative thinking. The YAA is an organization for students who are responsible, mature and who work hard to advance their understanding of the visual arts and creative fields. The application process is competitive.
Important Program Information:
• All students 13 – 18 years of age are welcome to apply.
• The program runs 10 months, from August 2018 – May 2019.
• YAA applicants are selected on merit. Applications are reviewed by a jury made up of Kimball Art Center Board members and community members.
*Students who have been in YAA this past year must reapply each year, and are not given precedence*
• The cost of YAA is $500 – we are committed to making this program accessible financially to any teen selected based on artistic merit. Scholarships are available.
Important Program Dates:
• Submit YAA applications no later than Sunday, May 20th, 2018 by 12:00 a.m. Notifications regarding acceptance into the program will be sent by Wednesday, June 5th, 2018.
• The first meeting for orientation for the 2018 -2019 school year is planned for Tuesday, July 31, 2018 from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Students are required to attend the first meeting and parents are welcome to join the first meeting as well.
• Students who are accepted must be prepared to participate in the Kimball Art Center’s annual Arts Festival August 3-5, 2018.
• YAA classes are held every Tuesday evening from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. at the Kimball Art Center studios unless otherwise noted.
• The Young Artists’ Academy requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours each month for meetings, activities and projects. Students are expected to meet deadlines and to be present for all critiques and projects. Students are required to complete a minimum of 40 hours of community service if accepted (many of which are completed as a group).
• The Young Artists’ Academy will be directed by Kimball Art Center’s Education Director Heather Stamenov with support from KAC staff, instructors, guest artists, professionals and more.
// Heather Stamenov holds a BA in Art Education and a BFA in Painting from Herron School of Art and Design, and an MFA in Painting from the University of Connecticut. She is a practicing visual artist who has exhibited her work in venues nationally and a passionate art educator living in Park City, UT//
Apply using the form below
Applications must be submitted no later than Sunday, May 20th, 2018 by 12:00 a.m. Notifications regarding acceptance into the program will be sent by Wednesday, June 5th, 2018.